[plug] vmware and such for ppc

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Feb 20 11:53:21 WST 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 07:52:09AM +0800, Andrew Pamment wrote:
> is it possible to get vmware for linux or something that emulates a PPC
> computer? I want to run Mac OS X in a little window on my x86.

I came across this brick wall recently, and I am toying with doing
it as a pet project that may take at least all year. I'm working on
this with a couple of people - the general plan as it stands is to
take the MOL code and add the emulation of the PPC processor itself.
After scanning over the code twice, I've not yet figured if it's
possible, but I haven't given up yet. Whether this will enable Mac
OS X to run, I'm not sure, as MOL itself will only run up to 9.2 (as
per website).

If anybody with either programming, or Mac hardware-level
programming experience is interested in assisting, let me know and
perhaps something cool can emerge? Cause Mac OS X on x86 would
surely be a hit, given the limiting factor to OSX's success at the
moment is largely proprietary hardware.

Regards,

Bernard.

--