[plug] Short connects solved - am I pissed!!!!

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Feb 21 07:54:38 WST 2002

On 20 Feb 2002, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> Am I pissed:

No, you are angry. See people! This is what happens eventually when you
start pronouncing "router" as "rowter" instead of "rooter". :)

> Plug!) which a kind sole decided to include "+--+--+--a--t--h" (note the
> dashes between the chars - I dont want to cause the problem as well!) in
> his description of the "ping of death".  It somehow got stuck in the

Isnt ping-of-death the problem with large ping packets?
http://www.insecure.org/sploits/ping-o-death.html
Whats the correct name for this bug/exploit?

> message around the time of the hangup, a simple rm fixed the prob!

The '+ + +' bug seems to have existed in most modems for many years,
incredibly, possibly due in part to a Hayes patent.
  The fix is 'ATS2=255' or similar, then save with 'AT&W'. This can even
but done remotely with a ping, in the same way as the exploit
 - I love that :-)

http://www.attrition.org/security/denial/w/mod-ath.dos.html

Fix your modem now folks. Well, after you disconnect.

--
  "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings.
   And folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And