[plug] OT: word splitting

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Thu Feb 21 22:37:11 WST 2002

On Thursday 21 February 2002 14:19, craig at postnewspapers.com.au wrote:
> > mouse - mice, EXCEPT in computing, where the correct plural is mouses.
> Pfft.
> viri and mice, thank-you-very-much, not viruses and mouses. Opinion
> only, as has been stated elsewhere, and I find mangled plurals so
> excruciating there aren't words for it.
> Speaking of which, one of the staff today asked me if their mouse had a
> virus *sigh*

Sorry to be pedantic Minister, but:

mouse * n. (pl. mice) 1 a small rodent that typically has a pointed snout,
relatively large ears and eyes, and a long tail. [Many species, especially in
the family Muridae.] 2 a timid and quiet person. 3. (pl. also ***mouses***)
Computing a small hand-held device which is dragged across a flat surface to
move the cursor on a computer screen, having buttons which are pressed to
control computer functions. 4 informal a lump or bruise on or near the eye. *
v. /also mauz/ 1 hunt for or catch mice. 2 (mouse about) prowl about.
- DERIVATIVES mouser n.
- ORIGIN OE mus (pl.) mys, of Gmc origin