[plug] Xwindows woes

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Feb 22 23:56:25 WST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 09:44:59PM +0800, Adam Davin wrote:
> I now have a startx, but when I try to run it X fails with
> X: "cannot stat /etc/X11/X (no such file or directory), aborting.
> giving up.
> xinit: no such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: no such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> There is no /etc/X11/X, but I am not sure what this should be. I have tried
> pointing this back at /usr/X11R6/bin/X but it doesn't like that
> (X: /etc/X11/X points back to X wrapper executable, aborting)
>
> I'm just about to re-install because I'm stuck (damn windows mentality...)

Perhaps try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" (if your using XF86
v4) or the appropriate package for version 3. This should
reconstruct a few things. The dpkg-reconfigure program I find is a
gift many a time!

To repair startx, find the xbase-clients package and with a bit of
luck, "dpkg -i /path/to/xbase-clients-xxx.x.x.x.deb" should give you
a bit of joy.

Did you pull the packages from unstable or testing? unstable (sid)
is expected to do weird things as such. Testing is recommended and
has most of the funky stuff!

HTH,

Bernard.

--