[plug] neo's wm

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sun Feb 24 12:15:44 WST 2002

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 11:11:48PM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> Enough of this twaddle! The question was, "does anyone know what Window
> Manager Neo's using, near the start of the Matrix?"

Oh, I'm sorry.  Was our discussion getting in the way of answering your
important question? :P

As already indicated, it is very rare of Hollywood to use ACTUAL
software in movies.  Rather they mock up something that looks cool, is
easy for the character to interact with and fits with what Joe Average
expects the computer to look like.

With regards to the Matrix, after playing the scene over about 10 times
on A-B repeat, I don't think there was any sort of window manager at
all.  A couple of crude icons along the top left but otherwise there
just appears to be, more or less, one big window with newspaper
clippings on it.  Plus a nice sickly green tinge to keep with the whole
Matrix theme.

Why were you interested?  What was it in those 3 seconds that it is on
the screen that made you want to know so much?  It certainly doesn't
look like any user interface I would be keen to have on my computer!

--
DSA 0x2A0F80F3: 39F3 4E10 9BE9 E728 A9EE  029C D51D EE53 2A0F 80F3