[plug] neo's wm

Andrew Pamment apamment at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 19:36:30 WST 2002

John Knight wrote:

> The Matrix is my second favourite idea though, something far cooler
> would be Lain: Serial Experiments, the anime series. Anyone who's seen
> this programme will know how awe inspiring it would be to have a similar
> looking interface which puts  Matrix themem to shame, provided that you
> could replicate such a thing. To anyone thinking of watching the
> programme, WATCH THE JAPANESE VERSION (with subs)! Don't become one of
> these snotty little anime fans that avoid watching the Japanese version
> and watch the English dubbed version instead, because they can't be
> arsed reading! The Japanese versions are always better and have decent
> voice acting.

Are you pondering what i'm pondering? So you want to kind of make a
themed distro. Like for themes.. while this is a good idea, i think
you'll find it a lot of hard work. there are a lot of packages that go
into a linux distro, it's not so much getting a distro set up, so much
as keeping it up to date.

You then have certain resbonsibilities to keep your distro secure, for
credibilitys sake. while, it may be fun for a while I imagine it
wouldn't be long before it just gets to be a chore.

Why not make an add on kindof distro. Like use a distro you are happy
with as a base, perhaps debian if that's what floats your boat, then do
something like have an apt source that someone then updates and it
installs/replaces pakages to turn it into a matrix distro. That way you
can rely on the debian people to keep your exim and utils-linux and what
not up todate while you can focus more on the appearances.

Just a suggestion, I think it would save you a lot of work, and you
could then perhaps have a Lain one as well.

Andrew

--
If you want to know what God thinks of money,
    just look at those he gives it to.