[plug] Bootup services

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Feb 27 12:09:08 WST 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Justin wrote:

> At 08:58 AM 27/02/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>  >>I think you misunderstand. On entering level X, the rc
>  >>script runs all the K and S scripts for level X. It
>  >>doesnt matter which level you are leaving. There
>  >>are no 'exit' scripts.
>  >believe what you want. it isn't important to me.
> i believe that it probably varies from Distro to distro.

Indeed.

> As far as i can see, Debian doesn't have the S and K's (well mine doesn't)
> - they are all S's and each script takes an argument of start, stop,

I can describe Mandrake. 8.0 anyway. The /etc/rcX.d/[SK]nn* are symbolic
links to the same scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d, which take an arg of
start/stop/restart etc.
  Each rcX.d directory contains a link for each service, either an S or K.

  If Mr Pamment can dry his eyes and come out of the corner, he might tell
us which distro has the third variation he showed us.
  It seems to me that that method could unnecessarily shut down then
restart a lot of services when changing between two run-levels, eg between
multi-user, and networked.

> restart. So instead of doubling up on scripts with S's and K's it just runs
> the S scripts with the stop argument.

On mandrake, there is no doubling. The name of the link serves as a
switch.

> YMMV

Amen.

--
  "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings.
   And folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And