[plug] Bootup services

Andrew Pamment apamment at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 15:16:24 WST 2002

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Justin wrote:

>   If Mr Pamment can dry his eyes and come out of the corner, he might tell
> us which distro has the third variation he showed us.
>   It seems to me that that method could unnecessarily shut down then
> restart a lot of services when changing between two run-levels, eg between
> multi-user, and networked.

*sigh* do i really not make any sense at all? do you have access to the
web? or like just email? i'm sorry i assumed you had access to the web.
i sent you links. according to the bottom link some systems that use
SysV scripts are:

RedHat, Mandrake, Suse and Caldera

sounds like it's been changed a bit in mandrake if it is as you say it
is. But then, it would no longer be system v scripts would it? more like
system v-ish. or simply mandrake scripts. but then, maybe system v is a
little different again and we are just taking the word of the distro
people, i mean i've never actually had the oppertunity to sus out an
actual system v system.

Anyway, if you had read it, then you would have read this

     "If the system is to change to runlevel 1 it will execute:

          /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K20nfs stop
          /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K50inet stop
     (assuming nfs and inet do not have start entries in
/etc/rc.d/rc1.d)"  <--- SEE THIS BIT!!! (writing in capitals, maybe when
you don't read it, it will grab your attention)

and no, i'm not sitting in the corner balling my eyes out. but i'm
nearly there out of frustration. i know i'm hard to understand, but come
on you wrote me off before you even read what i wrote. i mean, if you
seriously thought i possibly had something remotely intelligent to say
you would have at least glanced at the links i sent.

maybe i shouldn't bother? i mean whats the point? i'll just go back to
my world and try and find conspiracys in everyones posts, i know you are
all secretly aliens trying to invade our minds and use them as a huge
clustered supercomputer to perform strange and horrible psychiatric
experiments.

anyway. i've really had enough of this now. if you wanna learn
something, go work it out for yourself like i did. obviously you've got
no interest in listening to me. so i'll stop talking to myself.

andrew

--
If you want to know what God thinks of money,
    just look at those he gives it to.