[plug] Lessons in Linux (formerly Microsoft and Action Packs)

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Wed Feb 27 19:05:24 WST 2002

Sol,

Here's my rough outline of the lessons I think would be good to get beginners
using Linux on their desktops. I am making the assumption that beginners
would prefer KDE (because in my opinion it resembles Windows more than Gnome
does) and that Debian has a better package management system (if you need to
flame me for saying this, PLEASE do it off the list).

INTRODUCTION
Lesson 0. Introduction to the course.
Learn what is coming up and what Linux on the desktop can do.

Lesson 1. Getting started.
Learn how to log in, log out, change your password, select between KDE and
Gnome, shut down the computer, change your preferences, etc.

Lesson 2. Internet and communication tools.
Learn how to use KDE, Konqueror (to move files around, etc.), KMail, Mozilla
and Gabber. Learn how to sign up for a mailing list.

Lesson 3. Word processing.
Learn how to use the word processor of Star Office (or perhaps Open Office).

Lesson 4. Spread sheets.
Learn how to use the spreadsheets in Star Office and KSpread.

Lesson 5. Presentation software.
Learn how to use presentation software in Star Office.

Lesson 6. Drawing graphics.
Learn how to manipulate pictures and produce interesting graphics using The
Gimp.

Lesson 7. Composing web pages
Learn how to create and edit web pages using Mozilla Composer.

Lesson 8. Multimedia.
Learn how to use Xine, XMMS, The Grip and perhaps Gnutella.

Lesson 0. Package management
Learn how to log into a console window and use dselect. What some of the
important packages you need to install are.

Lesson 1. Accessing the documentation.
Learn where to find the documentation and how to read it.

Lesson 2. Installing from .tar.gz files.
Learn how to uncompress .tar.gz files (including StarOffice, Mozilla and
Xine), compile them and install them.

Lesson 3. Bash
Learn how to use bash including cd, ls, cp, mv, less, etc.

Lesson 4. Editing configuration files.
Learn how to use vim and stuff.

Perhaps some more advanced stuff..... I'm not too concerned with the advanced
stuff - mostly what people need to learn is how to do the stuff that they can
do on say Windoze, etc. - the usual office junk.

Anthony