[plug] Window Managers

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Jan 2 12:09:38 WST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:16:21AM +0800, Peter Wright wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:17:42AM +0800, Sol wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > But Blackbox has just as much and is much lighter. It integrates well
> > with GNOME too.
>
> Also, Fluxbox ( http://fluxbox.sf.net/ ) is a spin-off of the Blackbox code
> with a few extra features. If you like BB, you'll probably like FB as much
> or more.

I've been in Sydney the last couple weeks using my old P233 laptop with 96Mb
of RAM. I find that sawfish (the usual gnome compliant WM) and the gnome panel
is quite fast even on this old thing (no pixmap type themes though). Also,
unless you really want a GUI file manager consider killing off GMC or
Nautilus, I know I don't miss them at all.

Oh and if you haven't tried already, grab the preemptible kernel patches too
;)

	http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/

Later,

Jason Nicholls