[plug] Window Managers

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Wed Jan 2 13:09:30 WST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:09:38PM +1100, Jason Nicholls wrote:
[ ... ]
> I've been in Sydney the last couple weeks using my old P233 laptop with
> 96Mb of RAM. I find that sawfish (the usual gnome compliant WM) and the
> gnome panel is quite fast even on this old thing (no pixmap type themes
> though).

Um... you may find that CPU speed is pretty irrelevant here, your RAM is
high enough that your machine cannot really be considered terribly low-end.
I have used KDE2 quite happily even on my current Pentium 90 / 40meg RAM
laptop. Not running all that much, of course, but it works. Good for
demonstrating KDE prettiness and ease-of-use to non-Linux people.

32 meg RAM and below is where you'll really start to feel the pinch and
need a really lightweight WM. I've used twm and fvwm reasonably happily on
my oooold laptop (a 486 DX2-50 with 8 (yes, _eight_ ;) meg RAM) - but
didn't run anything more than a few terminals and nedit.

> Also, unless you really want a GUI file manager consider killing off GMC
> or Nautilus, I know I don't miss them at all.

File managers? What are they? :)

I'm just in the process of annoying one of my co-workers by demonstrating
how easy it is to do something using the Cygwin shell that would have
taken, um, a long time using the MSWindows file manager. :)

> Oh and if you haven't tried already, grab the preemptible kernel patches
> too ;)
>
> 	http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/

Hadn't heard of this... will have a look, thanks.

> Later,
> Jason Nicholls

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
It isn't easy being the parent of a six-year-old.  However, it's a pretty small
price to pay for having somebody around the house who understands computers.