[plug] mplayer was(Re:Window Managers)

Arkem arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Thu Jan 3 00:15:50 WST 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:21, John Knight wrote:
> I must warn you that the Hungarians that make mplayer are rather
> hostile and always reply with "RTFM"! The best thing to do would be
> to find out where your mplayer executable is held. For all users to
> access it, its optimal installation directory (of which it should
> take first preference, assuming that you have an up to date
> version) is /usr/locl/bin, if it's not in there, but actually
> somewhere in /root, then it's "problem solvered". If you're typing
> out "mplayer" from anywhere instead of /usr/local/bin, make sure
> that it's in your path (you'll need to RTFM on paths for this).
>
> If you're saying that it works but some files don't run etc, make
> sure that codecs.conf is copied into ~/.mplayer/.

I've checked the things you've mentioned, I actually explicitly
installed it in /usr/bin as opposed to /usr/local/bin (personal
preference I suppose). Everytime I invoke mplayer's gui as user
(mplayer --gui) it segmentation faults and then complains about a
particular line in codecs.conf (and if I comment out that line it
complains about another line and then another). It seems to run fine
without the gui option but I haven't actually tested it.

Regards, Paul C
(Thanks for the help) ^_^