[plug] E-mail Setup for spam filtering - Fetchmail-Procmail-ASK-Kmail ?

garry garbuck at tpg.com.au
Sat Jan 5 16:54:35 WST 2002

Hi Daniel,

Kmail has built in filtering, which can send stuff to Oblivion(tm) once you
have a set of logical operations established. This is the lowest tech and
simplest to implement I can think of atm..  Finding a pattern of From:
addresses or Subject: [contains] might work over a fairly short period..

eg
if From: contains [adserver.com, hitbox.*, ms*.com]
if Subject: contains [tits, $$, f*ck]

Have had a quick look at kmail inbox format, it is a single text file format.
If you are not a Kmail user, you could do the same thing with more difficulty
using Perl, assuming the mailbox is still in single file format..

eg (using Kmail's names)
Copy the "~/Mail/inbox" file to "~/Mail/inbox2"
Perform rules as above on "~/Mail/inbox2".
copy "~/Mail/inbox2" to "~/Mail//inbox"

but implementing it is tough if you are not a Perl expert... I am  not.

Something to think about..

Garry.