[plug] Building Debian packages (.deb)

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 7 10:56:23 WST 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-06 at 13:03, Ryan wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm toying around trying to make a Debian package for a perl script I
> wrote, i have found this site:
> http://people.debian.org/~jaldhar/make_package1.html but it demonstrates
> how to build a package using C source, not init.d scripts and no config files.
>
> My entire package should end up installing:
>
> /usr/bin/mp3stream.pl
> /etc/mp3stream.conf
> /etc/init.d/mp3stream
>
> and I can not find and good tutorials on how to do this.  Using 'debuild' I
> can successfully get it to make an empty .deb file after I botched together
> my own Makefile, but I can't get the config or init.d files involved.
>
> Anyone got a better site or their own experience on doing this?

cat - > Makefile
all:
	echo "MP3stream build stuff here"

install:
	cp mp3stream.pl $(DESTDIR)/usr/bin/
	cp mp3stream.conf $(DESTDIR)/etc/
	cp mp3stream $(DESTDIR)/etc/init.d/
^D
dh_make
(Select single binary)
(Edit debian/* to add author name etc)
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Done!

Or that's how I usually do hackish packages for myself :-)

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G