[plug] Debian install - network card

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Jan 7 11:26:10 WST 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Anne Busby wrote:

> I am trying to install debian on to a box with out an CD.
> I have get the base system installed, using floppies, but it will not
> install my network card so I can get the rest of it (HTTP the cd from the
> server).
>
> The card is SMC EtherCard Plus Elite 16 (wd/8013ep).
>
> I know that module 8390 needs to be loaded before the wd module. The
> network card settings (io and irq) under dos are not accepted.
>
> How do I find out what IO port and IRQ it is under linux.
>
> The card jumps are set to 'soft' for the config, if this is any help.

Yeah this is the problem,  If at all possible you should set this jumper so
that the Card "knows" where it is.  From there you should be abale to load
the module with the correct IRA and IOBASE address.

If changeing the jumpers is not possible then you need to look at ISAPNP.  BUT
I don't know how much of that is avilabale in the boot floppies and/or the
base image.  If you can't get the NIC working in this limited enviromnent
Then you may need to grab the ISAPNP .debs from the CD 9put them on floppies)
and then get yourself going that way.  ISAPNP is not the easyest thing in the
world to configure but you should be able to do it.

If You still can't get it going then you could try PPP over a nullmodem cable.
Or bringing the machine to UCC.  With a lead time we should be able to get
enough stuff together to get you going.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein