[plug] Grumble, grumble, Windows strikes again

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 9 15:06:57 WST 2002

> Interesting what you say about iinet not having their own DSLAMS.  I wonder
> if the service would have the same 'reliability' or 'uptime' associated
> with Telstra?
I've been in contact with iiNet quite a bit (and _not_ tech support
weanies) about this issue, as we're a newspaper and get 20mb eMail
attatchments bytecharging can be a big issue.

iiNet is currently paying 15c/mb for each megabyte passing through the
router between the DSLAMs in the Telstra exchanges, and their network. I
don't know if they do own the DSLAMs but it makes no difference - the
main issue is that they can't bypass that f**ing router, and Telstra is
sqeezing them for every cent they can get. Because this affects all
traffic, iiNet must currently charge 15c/mb for even local ftp mirror
access.
I have heard that they were attempting to bypass the router, but that
appears to have fallen through recently. Alas.

BREAK UP TELSTRA! If they weren't a combined services/infrastructure
company this particular problem would either (1) not exist or at least
(2) be EQUAL FOR EVERYBODY. Probably somewhere between the two.

--
Craig Ringer
IT Manager, POST Newspapers