[plug] Building Debian packages to satisfy dependencies?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Jan 9 18:35:39 WST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:45:32PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> Rather than making a dummy package, isn't using make-kpkg to compile your
> 'pristine source' into the REAL kernel-image-2.4.16 package an easy enough
> way?
>
> Ryan
> >My question is, what's the easiest way to make a dummy
> >package with the "Provides kernel-image-2.4.16" to
> >fill this (recommended) dependency?

I'd go with what Ryan says. Using 'kernel-package' is what most DD's
seem to recommnd (at least, they did to me in Bordeaux). Since then I
switched to kernel-package, and then to the pre-built debian
2.4 kernels from Herbert Xu. The only issue I have with the
kernel-image-2.4.xx-flavour packages is that the nvidia package puts
the NVdriver module into /lib/modules/2.4.xx/, and the kernel image
package has it's modules in /lib/modules/2.4.xx-flavour/. I fudge it
from here, and either symlink the two directories together, or
just move the NVdriver binary module from one directory to the other.

It's not perfect, but then perfect would see Nvidia extract their
finger and permit GPL drivers. But thats not going to happen because they
have unified drivers with private 3rd party code in there which Nvidia
can't relicence. And as Suse knows, playing with other people's
licences can lead to much trouble... ;)

 James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to