[plug] Building Debian packages to satisfy dependencies?

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Jan 9 17:46:30 WST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Andrew Furey wrote:

> The resulting kernel-specific package,
> nvidia-kernel-2.4.16 (in my case), recommends
> kernel-image-2.4.16. However since I always compile my
> own kernels from pristine source, I don't have a
> kernel-image-2.4.16.

It "recommends" not "requires" so as long as you install the resulting
packages manually with dpkg it should not complain about the fact
kernel-image-blah is not installed

At least it does not on my home machine, and I also compile my kernels
from Linus source.

> My question is, what's the easiest way to make a dummy
> package with the "Provides kernel-image-2.4.16" to
> fill this (recommended) dependency?

This I can't help you with I'm afraid.

Although I'm a Debianite from way back, I still have not attempted to
master the black art of package creation from-scratch.

 - Matt