[plug] Disk partitioning

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Thu Jan 10 22:41:56 WST 2002

> Is there anyone still beavering (yes I know Leon and scribe are
> out there)
> that can tell me if I've done a bad, bad thing. I've got a new 60 giggle
> bite drive for a new Linux only box that has a swap partition and
> a TheRest
> huge partition. Should I have fractured this to multiple partitions for
>
> 1. safety,
> 2. management,
> 3. so I don't have to stare at a bad block read check for a very
> long time ?
>
> Is there a better plan ?
> Will this question invoke the DiskPartitioningEvangalism flame wars ?
> Noting also that this is a personal workstation and not a server for all
> and sundry ?
>
> cu
> Harry

At least install a journaling file system like ext3 or reiserFS. (My
personal pref is for ext3). This will save you time on the bad block read
check.

Also keeping /home on a separate partition is a good idea and is a similar
thing that I do in a windows enviro. (I have a C: partition for system and a
D: partition for data). Essentially this allows you to blow away the system
and still keep your data intact. (Something I have to do very infrequently
with a Linux install).

Otherwise everything else is up to you. Having a separate /boot partition
can be handy.

Michael Hunt