[plug] MD5 convert

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Fri Jan 11 09:43:52 WST 2002

From: "Christian" <christian at amnet.net.au>
> So you basically copied the old shadow file across?

Yep, although since I didn't know if I could get away with just a copy of
the files, I used the system adduser script to ensure all the [ug]id's
matched up and didn't disrupt the ones already in.  But since you can pass
an encrypted password straight to adduser, essentially all the users has the
same encrypted string they had previously.

> > None of the new users authenticated. <- now I knew.
>
> That's odd, or at least a little disappointing if Linux has actually gone
> backwards in this.

Err .. I *suspect* that without the config that I added, the login daemon
simply won't believe that a password is in MD5, even though the leader in
the hash string says it is.

*shrug*

We should've avoided the situation in the first place - which is what we're
preparing for now :-)

- Brian.