[plug] web development

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Sat Jan 12 22:52:42 WST 2002

>What are the recommendations - application wise - for producing HTML, javascript and pdfs under linux? I have heard of a few, such as Bluefish.

I'm only a grommit, wannabe hacker at the moment so take my advice with
a grain (or a spoonful) of salt, but I have been drilling myself over
recent weeks (in my spare time) in SQL and PHP. I've checked the sites
for Quanta and CoffeeCup and I suppose if you want to do HTML or PHP
hacking in an editor with the works then this is getting close. For now
though I'm happy to use Glimmer (formerly Code Commander) which is a
simple graphical editor with syntax highlighting for HTML, PHP, C, C++,
Perl, Java, Javascript, Bash, SQL (the list goes on but I won't). It's a
good all-round GUI editor. I also like to use Vim for smaller jobs if I
can't be bothered downloading something it can be used in a ssh session.

http://at.rpmfind.net/opsys/linux/RPM/freshmeat/glimmer/glimmer-0.9.18-1.i386.html

I'm working on a site that will be serving PDF and HTML files as well as
mp3 audio from an archive. I've looked into Lyx, which is based on LaTeX
(on the recommendation of a PLUGer) and have so far found it excellent
for creating formatted documents. The tutorials were great and got me
started quickly. It creates Postscript files which can easily be
converted into pdf's using a command line app ps2pdf.  I can definitely
see myself using this more often in the future, especially as I'm at uni
- this could make essay preparation quite a bit easier. And best of all,
it's free! :-)

http://www.lyx.org/

Hope this helps,

Sol