[plug] web development

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Mon Jan 14 11:00:36 WST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 05:26:52PM -0800, Wayne Vovil wrote:
> My current work / home / not sleepy hours are devoted to COBOL

You poor deluded person, you  :)

> What are the recommendations - application wise - for producing HTML,
> javascript and pdfs under linux? I have heard of a few, such as
> Bluefish.

The big question is: will the website be static or dynamic?

In other words, are you going to produce interactive content, database
searching, etc, or are you looking at purely static content?  This will
greatly affect the way in which you produce the website.

For dynamic content, you're really got no choice but to sit down and
start coding in the language of your choice.  I like vim, but you might
prefer a fluffy IDE.

For static content, there are plenty of HTML editors that people have
mentioned already (including my favourite, vim).  If you're feeling a
little more geeky, you might like to check out WML (the website meta
language, not the WAP-related one):

http://www.engelschall.com/sw/wml/

This will allow you to create static content that is created using a
combination of HTML, Perl and all sorts of funky bits and pieces.  It's
quite useful if you're looking at developing a large site, and want to
create adaptive templates and styles, etc.

Oh, and avoid Javascript if you can.  Not only is it a pain to develop
stable cross-browser code, but many people switch it off.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Millions long for immortality who do
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | not know what to do with themselves on