[plug] setting up to use reiserfs

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 16 14:36:23 WST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 14:33, Harry McNally wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've merrily setup my new system with partitions /, /boot, /tmp. /var,
> /usr, /usr/local, and /home.
> Then I loaded Lots Of Useful Stuff.
>
> This was the wrong approach because I wanted to use reiserfs. I've copied
> most of the partition contents to / through a /tmpsomething directory and
> umounted the partitions; all in runlevel 1.
>
> Edited fstab so they aren't going to reappear just yet.
>
> /usr is problematic because it's contents are much bigger than the /
> partition. I'll fall of that bridge when I get to it.
>
> Before I proceed, am I right in assuming I could not make /boot a reiserfs
> (I'm using lilo) and / is only 200MB so it'll fsck pretty fast and
> therefore not to bother ?
>
> ps Are these the wrong questions ? :-)

You can make everything reiserfs as long as you have it either compiled
into your kernel or in an initrd. Obviously your kernel needs to be able
to mount the partition with kernel modules on it before it can load
them.

I'd check that the lilo you have can manage to read a kernel off a
reiserfs partition.

How are you going to go about converting from ext[23] -> reiserfs? AFAIK
you'll have to copy everything off and reinitialise the partitions.

Cheers,
Grahame

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G