[plug] setting up to use reiserfs

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 16 14:48:59 WST 2002

> > Before I proceed, am I right in assuming I could not make /boot a reiserfs
> > (I'm using lilo) and / is only 200MB so it'll fsck pretty fast and
> > therefore not to bother ?
You _can_ boot of a resiserfs /boot, you just need to make sure that in
/etc/fstab you set the "notails" mount option. Less space-efficient for
storing many small files but that's not an issue for /boot.

You may as well make / reiserfs while you're at it, if you can be
bothered. Easier if you use devfs though.

> How are you going to go about converting from ext[23] -> reiserfs? AFAIK
> you'll have to copy everything off and reinitialise the partitions.
Ideally, borrow someone's spare harddisk and use it as working space to
rebuild your filesystems.

--
Craig Ringer
IT Manager, POST Newspapers