[plug] setting up to use reiserfs

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 16 15:12:30 WST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 14:48, craig at postnewspapers.com.au wrote:
> > > Before I proceed, am I right in assuming I could not make /boot a reiserfs
> > > (I'm using lilo) and / is only 200MB so it'll fsck pretty fast and
> > > therefore not to bother ?
> You _can_ boot of a resiserfs /boot, you just need to make sure that in
> /etc/fstab you set the "notails" mount option. Less space-efficient for
> storing many small files but that's not an issue for /boot.
>
> You may as well make / reiserfs while you're at it, if you can be
> bothered. Easier if you use devfs though.

Ah. I knew reiserfs did tail packing, which means /vmlinuz isn't
necessarily a contiguous group of blocks on the disk. Lilo just uses the
offset into the disk and a length.

It'd be cute if there was a "no tail packing" extended file attribute
under reiserfs, then you could use tail packing but preserve files
needed by lilo to boot.

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G