Re-attaching to GUI apps a la XP? (was Re: [plug] grabbing running apps)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 17 10:00:05 WST 2002

vnc - I run gui apps and then kill the client at home when I go to work
- the server is left running.  When I get to work, I run the client and
(secure tunnel) to my home machine and on connection, the whole desktop
is as I left it (except for changes due to the running apps of course).
If your bandwidth can stand it, you can run kde etc and even run more
than one server for multiple desktops.  Top that XP!

I also saw a "proxy X server" that could do something similar, but vnc
is a lot more flexible.

BillK