Re-attaching to GUI apps a la XP? (was Re: [plug] grabbing running apps)

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jan 17 11:19:16 WST 2002

> using it.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to do this under
> Linux/X11?  Anyone with X11 programming experience suggest how it would
> be done?  Something in the window manager, perhaps?
The X11 protocol can't cope with that. Once a connection is established,
thats it, and I really can't think of a way that it could be _moved_.
However, you could achieve a similar effect using a few tricks. One
would be to have an X11 proxy (as someone mentioned here) that accepts
the client connection. The proxy has a client program that connects to
your X server and forwards all requests. VNC works like this (X11->vnc),
you'd just need to adapt the technique (if possible) to X11->X11 .

X11Client -> ProxyXServer

	     ProxyXClient -> Real X Server

Alternately if you only care about one or a few apps, it might be
possible to split them into backend and front-end, with the front-end
being an X client that connects to the back-end when loaded, and the
back-end storing state. So you can quit the GUI of the app and reload it
later w/o actually quitting the app proper. This would allow you to
connect from different terminals. However, it requires _extensive_
changes to the app, so I don't think its practical.

--
Craig Ringer
IT Manager, POST Newspapers