[plug] Inkjet printer recom[m]endations?

Ryan ryan at prodigital.net.au
Fri Jan 18 19:42:43 WST 2002

At 05:50 PM 18/01/02 +0800, you wrote:
>I think its time to look at replacing the old epson stylus 600. I'm after
>something with 1/ excellent linux support of course :) 2/ low to medium use,
>short print runs of med - high quality 3/ able to produce photo quality
>images 4/ re-inkable preferably with separate cartridges for each colour. (or
>cheap carts that I won't feel like re-inking to save money :)

The new Epson's suck ;)  I'd say Lexmark.

Some of the models come with Linux drivers and soon (if not already) they
will officially support Linux.

Lexmark cartridges are the most expensive $60-$80 (they have the heads
built into the cartidge the same as HP ones) but listen to what i have to
say :) ... When you compare this to a Canon printer with separate ink
tanks, the Lexmark is actually cheaper to run, the Lexmark cartridges are
far higher yield and thus you buy less of them than you would a canon and
the price difference of the canon cartridges does not compensate for the
frequency at which you must they.

They do superb photo reproduction and can be re-inked in the same way HPs
are if you really must.  Lexmark also have the best warranty I have ever
seen on a printer.

But as always:YMMV

Ryan