[plug] Inkjet printer recommendations?

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Sat Jan 19 10:09:09 WST 2002

For Linux the best thing is Epson according to
http://www.linuxprinting.org/. This has got to be the best all round site
for printing under Linux and I recommend it to anyone.

<WARNING WILL ROBINSON>

A look at http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Lexmark for
Lexmark's shows that the High end lasers are very well supported but some of
the low end stuff are junk.

</WARNING WILL ROBINSON>

Now some of the information in the database could be out of date but the low
end inkjets tend to be fairly cheap and for my purposes fairly crap. There
are also a couple of win printers around in this range which will _not_ work
with Linux.

Now if Ryan could justify his statement "The new Epson's suck ;)" as at
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html Epson printers get a lot of
recommendations. I would really like to know why he says this as at this
stage I'm leaning towards a Epson possibly the Stylus Photo 890.

Also I would recommend you tasking a look at one of Craig's earlier posts
where he talks about the Tektronix. You can find a run down on the Tektronix
at http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Tektronix

Linux Printing also produce a vendor report card so take a look
http://www.linuxprinting.org/vendors.html to see how they are stacking up.

Basically you are going to have to spend a bit of money to get a good Linux
supported printer (none of the cheap end crap will work with Linux), do a
fair bit of homework to find out what models are supported under Linux (not
just brands), get your self some test prints, prices and features and in the
end decide what best meets your needs.

Hope you get this before you go out shopping today.

Michael Hunt