[plug] Intermittant, constant crashes

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 20 21:21:03 WST 2002

open the box and check the fans and heatsinks for buildup of lint or not
working properly - when was the last time you lifted the lid?.  Is there
a correlation between room temperature or system load that indicates a
heat problem?  Kernal oop's are indicative of heat problems with amd
k6's (I note you have a pentium), though not all the time - an
occasional one appearing at the start of hot weather has always been
"lift the lid and vacuum time" for me!

With an old machine, it is also possible you have a bad memory module,
or a dying hard drive (this should show up in the logs though).
Software is actually a less likely cause of this type of crash than
hardware (unless you are running you know what!)