[plug] Intermittant, constant crashes

Kai vk6ksj at siwa.com.au
Sun Jan 20 21:21:59 WST 2002

Howdy all,

For a while now my 6.2 firewall/javaradio server has been crashing for
no apparent reason after no regular time interval.
I have been checking the logs I know of and nothing appears to be wrong,
however, here's a basic run down.

Machine boots fine, no worries....then, maybe after 10 minutes or 3 days
the machine will unexpectedly stop responding to any keyboard requests
and only a hardware reset will get it running again. A common time for
the server to stop responding is about 12 hour or so, but, as I wrote
before it has crashed anywhere from 10 minutes or 3 days.
That's about it really, for no apparent reason the machine stop
responding and I can't find any trace of why in the error logs that I
know of...everything shows as normal.

System is:
Pentium 233MMX with 64 Megs of RAM
Red Hat Linux 6.2

I have used the same machine for a few years now and this has only
happened in the last few months, I didn't want to bother anyone on list
before I checked the logs and did some troubleshooting, however, I'm not
a full bottle on Linux, far from it and any help would be more than welcome

I can hear a lot of people say "wipe that crap off their and install
Debian", that might work but it won't solve the problem of why this
machine crashes without any warning.
I am out of ideas and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I've provided enough info.
TIA

Kai