[plug] getting telnet access

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Jan 20 21:24:08 WST 2002

On Sunday 20 January 2002 14:46, Craig Reynolds wrote:
> Hi guys, I've got a fresh RH 7.2 install an I'm having trouble getting
> telnet acces to it, so I was hoping someone would be able to point me in
> the right direction.

Use ssh instead. If you have to get in from Windows, use PuTTY (GPL). I have
patches to make this do SCO funkeys and some basic printery stuff, but it's
fast, light (no DLL hell) and simple, and has lots of convenience features
like scrollback and autologin.

It also has a telnet client.

Do netstat -tanp (or -pant, or -antp, etc, your choice) and make sure you
actually have a telnet listening.

Check the firewall (ipchains|iptables) rules (if any).

If you are going ``across'' the box to get there, make sure that IP
forwarding is enabled.

Check /etc/hosts.deny as well.

Cheers; Leon