[OT] Tech support Re: [plug] AOL/Time Warner & Redhat?

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Sun Jan 20 22:27:34 WST 2002

Christian wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 05:31:24PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>>Red Hat appears to have gone downhill, since RH 6.2, and Netscape seems to
>>have gone downhill since Netscape 4.61, and, neither either acknowledge,
>>or, respond to email communications, so, to me, I doubt that it will make
>>alot of difference. I am likely to stick with RH 6.2, as much as possible,
>>until I have to (or, amd inclined to) start switching to the dark art of
>>debian.

Come on, you know you want to. Apt-get. Mmmmmm. ;-)

Actually, after the freedom factor, the two main reasons I decided to
switch to the "dark art" were because I wanted to learn more about
computing and considered that KDE holding my hand was probably a
hindrance to this, and because Debian doesn't so much have "users" as
"devotees" who are often, I have found, much more willing to provide
advice on and ongoing basis.
I found this out the hard way when I encountered problems with
configuring my modem when I first installed SuSE 7.0 on my first
computer some sixteen months ago. I had a registered copy, so I emailed
(using Windows from the first partition) SuSE and found them not
terribly helpful. They seemed to want me running around in circles until
my 30 days service ran out. I've since found PLUGers to be much more
helpful - even when I ask stupid questions! Isn't community support
meant to be one of the pluses of OSS after all?

Regards,

Sol