[plug] Home Network (Cabling) Problems

Nathan D natdan at pobox.com
Mon Jan 21 12:03:22 WST 2002

At 12:30 PM 21/01/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>Since i know a few of you have home networks, I was hoping someone may be able
>to give me a few pointers. Sorry for the length but i thought i'd be
>thorough.)
>

>I have 8 Cat-5 cables in the walls of my house to two different outlets (with
>4 sockets each). Then in the roof i have a hub. (Which i have tested every
>port
>on and is OK)
>
>Since i am not using a rack and there is only an even number of cable segments
>between each PC and the Hub i have reversed the wiring of the cables in the
>walls so that i can plug them directly into the hub.
><snip>
Reversed the wiring? Not sure what you mean here.

>The cable are from the same original length (i bought a big length and chopped
>it up), and the wall sockets and plugs are all from the same box.
So we can assume that you did the connections yourself?  A stab in the dark
here.....  When first playing with networks I did the connectors with all
cores/pairs in sequence and just made sure that it was the same both ends,
for short little runs - no worries.
Recently I did a temp install (still there now) by running a cable down a
20m passage way and leaving another 20m curled up in the box by the
switch(I *WILL* get in the roof when it cools down).  Lights came on ok at
both ends - but nothing would talk.  A continuity test showed all was ok
and nothing shorted.  Referring to the relevant diagrams, I then wired both
ends correctly and it all works wonderfully now.
With the cables in Room No.2 being longer and more prone to interference,
this may be something to look at?

Then again..... I may be wrong? :)

regards,
   Nathan