[plug] pretty code

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Jan 23 18:03:10 WST 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Adrian Woodley wrote:

> 	I've been conned into maintaining some of my dad's webpages.
[...]
> What I need is a quick and dirty code beautifier which will put
> sensible indents in, etc.

I haven't used it, but a quick "apt-cache search indent" shows up the
program hindent:

 This utility reformats HTML code to be properly indented/nested
 for improved readability.  You can indent the existing lines as-is,
 or totally reformat the code to have one tag per line.  Hindent is
 useful in deciphering software-generated HTML code when it's all just
 one huge line, or help you find find that last missing end-tag, or
 deal with code victimized by creeping featurism.
 Written in Perl for Unix.  Understands all HTML 3.2 nestable tags.

"master web page" at: http://www.domtools.com/unix/hindent.shtml

If you do a search on freshmeat etc you'll probably find hundreds of these
little programs...

 - Matt