[plug] Loki no longer! :(

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Fri Jan 25 15:16:58 WST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 03:04:03PM +0800, Leon Blackwell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:31:15PM +0800, Theodor Gutmann wrote:
> > Call it simplistic or whatever you like;  Loki's demise is a reflection
> > of it.
>
> I think Loki's demise is due to a large number of things.
[ ... ]
> Loki died for a number of reasons, and I don't think it was just because
> all us Linux users are tight.

I'd like to know exactly _how_ low their sales were... ie. if they were so
low that even if their CEO was an absolute genius (he wasn't :-) it
wouldn't have made any difference.

The games market is pretty tough for everyone, really - there are a few at
the top (eg. id) that make a significant amount of money, there are a fair
number who get by, and then there are those that don't get by. It may well
have been the case that it was always unrealistic to hope that Loki could
even pay for itself, considering that it was targetting a market much much
smaller than that of Windows games developers... but I'm glad they tried.

They did a lot of fantastic ports.  I personally have bought quite a few of
their games - I'd have to get home and do a count to be sure, but should be
at least ten. Damn shame that I won't be able to get Deus Ex now. :-((

>  Leon Blackwell                | A nice thing about not planning is

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.