[plug] Loki no longer! :(

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Fri Jan 25 15:04:03 WST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:31:15PM +0800, Theodor Gutmann wrote:
> Call it simplistic or whatever you like;  Loki's demise is a reflection
> of it.

I think Loki's demise is due to a large number of things.

I, for one, never bought one of their games.  This isn't because I
wouldn't pay for them -- I most certainly would.  It also isn't because
I don't play games, because I do (although not that much these days as
there's too many other things to get done).

The reason I never bought one of their games was because the ones I
might have been interested in all required hardware that I didn't have.
I can't afford to upgrade my Linux box and get a chunky 3D card just to
play games, and I'm guessing that I'm not the only one here that doesn't
have the newest and fastest thing on the market (especially with all
this talk of 386 RAM that's been going on  :)

Perhaps if Loki had chosen a few older titles to port, more of us would
have gone out and paid for them.  Where is Lemmings for Linux (no,
Pingus is still nowhere near finished)?  Where is Myst?  Where are the
ports of Starcraft or Dark Reign?  Sure, they mostly work under WINE,
but I'd rather have paid for a version that doesn't crash, and that will
network with the equivalent Windows versions happily.

Loki died for a number of reasons, and I don't think it was just because
all us Linux users are tight.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | A nice thing about not planning is
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | that failure comes as a complete