[plug] traffic requirements for woody mirror

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 25 16:23:23 WST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 15:49, Russell Steicke wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Someone at work has setup a mirror of RedHat and Mandrake update RPMs
> (for internal use only).  I'd like to get a debian archive added to the
> list.  Actually doing the mirror via rsync is easy and well documented.
>
> But I'd like to know what the traffic requirements are for maintaining a
> woody archive: how many MB per week is used in updating things?
>
> And I believe that UWA has a debian mirror.  If I turn up at one of the
> UCC meetings, would they let me copy lots of the debian mirror to my
> laptop so I could "seed" the work mirror?  (I imagine the powers would
> be more likely to say yes to my request for a debian mirror if the
> initial archive could be got for nothing.)

ftp.uwa.edu.au - it's all there. I have dropped a few architectures -
after I had a look at the FTP logs I discovered nobody uses them and we
were running out of disk space.

You'll need a lot of space free, and be warned that UCC only has 10Mb
through to the UWA network so it'll take hours as well.

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G