[plug] On-line Kernel Compilation

Ryan ryan at prodigital.net.au
Fri Jan 25 22:01:26 WST 2002

>Might be worth talking to James B. in his package maintainer role. He has
>described submitting a package for compilation where he can't possibly
>maintain physical machines for every processor type. It may be that this
>mechanism (or parts of it) may be applicable to the project.
>
>Yours might be a smart (or more verbose [read: more newbie instructive])
>interface that submits to remote machines in a similar way and collects
>the compiled binaries.

Interesting ... definitely a possibility.

I was thinking purely web server based rather than constructing my own
client/server deal (even though this is quite easy to do in Perl)  this way
there is less limitation on accessibility to the service, it would even
work in lynx! :)  Thus the 'hardest part' i mentioned being to translate
the config.in file to some HTML form representation and then back to a
defconfig format.   What you suggested could save all this hassle, but
would require at the very least some curses based interface on the client
side .. along with a lot of other communication considerations.

Though I must admit a dedicated client/server protocol model would be
rather kinky, I was not intending for the client side of things to have any
out of the ordinary dependencies or requirements that would inevitably
occur with such a solution.  Ideally the service should be available to
people who have just installed base and got their modem working right
through to people running X and also Windows/MAC users.

>Havachat. Come to UCC on Monday night (and see the LCA2003 video too ;-)

I don't think I'm playing cricket Monday, see you there :)

Ryan