[plug] On-line Kernel Compilation

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Jan 25 20:01:44 WST 2002

At 11:37  25/01/02 , you wrote:
>I have been idly toying around with the idea of making an on-line kernel
>compilation service for people with no clue, no CPU power, or no patience.

<snip>

>Any thoughts on this subject?  Has this already been done and I can't find
>it for my searching?
>
>Ryan

Hi Ryan

Might be worth talking to James B. in his package maintainer role. He has
described submitting a package for compilation where he can't possibly
maintain physical machines for every processor type. It may be that this
mechanism (or parts of it) may be applicable to the project.

Yours might be a smart (or more verbose [read: more newbie instructive])
interface that submits to remote machines in a similar way and collects the
compiled binaries.

Havachat. Come to UCC on Monday night (and see the LCA2003 video too ;-)

All the best
Harry