[plug] Loki no longer! :(

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Sat Jan 26 00:22:21 WST 2002

Hi Theodor,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 05:52:51PM +0800, Theodor Gutmann wrote:
> I infer you are missing the argument here.............:-((

Well, I did sort of drag the argument off in a different direction, but I'm
not meaning to be obtuse. My apologies if you felt my response was
unnecessarily argumentative.

I just like to encourage people to think a little bit more about the things
they read (and write ;), and there were a few things that you mentioned that
deserve a bit more thought - especially in a thread like this.

Most notably:

> > Windows lays claim to the title as the standard platform for gaming
> > and there is no point reinventing the wheel.

This is really the sentence that got my attention. It's the casual use of
the word "standard" - which is a risky word because it carries a lot of
almost subliminal suggestions along with it[0] - that put me off a bit.

Also the part about "there is no point reinventing the wheel" was rather,
um, weird. I didn't really understand what you meant by that in the context
- it just didn't seem to make sense, but it _felt_ like you were advocating
some variant of the "there's no hope, just give up" line.

If I've misunderstood, please feel free to clarify.

Thanks,

Pete.

[0] ...mostly the implication that Standard => Good or Standard => Official
or Standard => you just _should_ use it because dammit, it's a standard! ;-)
Stick the (justifiable) qualifier "defacto" in front of it and it's a lot
less annoying/offputting.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake