[plug] squake

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Jan 28 17:23:05 WST 2002

Hi Aaron,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:18:41AM +0800, Aaron Wooten wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to setup quake for linux , I have a RH6.2 machine and
> squake, and quake.x11 however when I goto start It it opens for a few
[ ... ]
> If anyone can help with these  problems it would be much appreciated

You need to be more specific about which "quake" you're dealing with. Since
the release of the Quake 1 source code a few years back there are quite a
few ports of Quake 1 floating around. But if you're trying to use the
official id binaries of '96 vintage, I'd say ... don't :).

I'd suggest first going to http://www.quakeforge.net/ and grabbing the
latest stable release (ie. what they call "Newtree", their stable tree).

You'll probably have to build it from source due to the fact that you're
using a distro based on a rather old glibc, but it's _very_ straightforward
to compile. Let me know if you have any problems with it after that, and I
_might_ be able to help you.

> Aaron Wooten

I've been using the quakeforge development tree for a bit now, and aside
from the fact that it doesn't have menus (I think the developers have the
philosophy that menus are for wimps :), it's rock-solid and works very very
well (I never played Quake1 back when it was originally released, so it's
sort of cool to play it now, in a retro-gaming kind of way). I'd like to be
able to try it multiplayer but haven't yet managed to find a nearby server
with anyone on it. ;-)

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
C makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes that