[plug] licq

Arkem (Paul) arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Tue Jan 29 19:19:36 WST 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:54, Andrew Pamment wrote:
> hi..
>
> does anyone successfully use icq and linux at the same time? I am
> using licq - err rephrase that - *trying* to use licq, under my
> neeew slackware 8.0 system (thanks plug) now, I used to be able to
> do this early 2000 under slackware 7.1, but no longer! it seems
> that none of my messages go through. I have concluded that it must
> be either one of two things
>
> 1) my firewall is a bit over protective, i dont think so, i'm using
> MonMotha's iptables script, with it setup to log and drop the
> packets that i dont want coming in. but its supposed to let
> everything out.
>
> 2) icq has turned into a monster and wont allow anything without
> the aol-time-warner secret handshake and ad retrieval system.
>
> help me! what is it?? am i even close?

Number 2 is relatively close.

The ICQ protocol (which all ICQ clients use) has quite a few versions
(AOL-Time Warner seem to like releasing new revisions alot) currently
I think they are up to version 8 of the protocol. Currently LICQ and
90% of all alternate icq clients are supporting version 5 or 6. The
Licq dev team are frantically coding up support for the newer
versions and plan to have it in their next release. Have a look at
http://www.licq.org/ and-or http://licq.sourceforge.net/ and check
their dev mailing list archive.

In the mean time you should find that you mostly drop messages when
sent through the server and should be fine otherwise, I know it is
annoying but it should work at least some of the time. Try whenever
possible using direct connections. Also in newer genuine ICQ clients
there is an option along the lines of "dissallow direct connections
from older clients" which defaults to on, try making sure all your
non linux friends have this turned off.

Regards,
Paul