[plug] traffic requirements for woody mirror

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jan 31 13:49:30 WST 2002

At 05:16  31/01/02 , you wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:49:15AM +0000, Harry McNally wrote:
> > At the PLUG meeting at UCC on Monday night I fetched most of the UWA
> debian
> > mirror and should be dropping back this afternoon to finish the job; given
> > a servicable motor car.
> >
> > James B. let me use a very neat script using rsync to slurp the mirror
> from
> > UWA ftp and which I can use through my 56K dialup to (hopefully) keep my
> > mirror up to date. When Andrew says the mirror is 42GB, this is probably
> > all architectures (or does it include source?). The James B. cunning
> script
> > has a separate exclusion text file so I'm only getting the i386 parts of
> > the mirror; no source.
>
>Includes source

Ah. Ok. Well praps Russell could mirror binaries and fetch down source of
individual packages that he wants to examine or tweak ?

I guess the rsync script could be a dynamic beast in that a small group of
source packages of interest could be removed from the exclusion list when
you want to observe changes.

Out of interest, Andrew, would a PLUG talk be possible that explains how
you manage your mirror and the way you make use of it (including source);
without delving too deeply into your companies activities (if that is
feasible) ?

All the best
Harry