[plug] On-line Kernel Compilation

Ryan ryan at prodigital.net.au
Fri Jan 25 19:37:57 WST 2002

I have been idly toying around with the idea of making an on-line kernel
compilation service for people with no clue, no CPU power, or no patience.

It is very do-able, especially for Debian with make-kpkg.  Yes, there are
lots of security and scheduling issues, they are all sorted on a conceptual
level.  I am not for one minute suggesting it is easy, or that I am an
authority in this area, but given time (something I'm very short of) I
could knock together a working system.  The hardest part that I see is
parsing the config.in and defconfig files into a more workable and dynamic
structure.  Maybe there is already a Perl module to parse it into a nested
hash, I haven't looked yet :)

As a really basic overview of the on-line side, it would present a 'make
menuconfig'-esk interace and let you submit it into some scheduling
mechanism for compilation.  Once finished or failed, an email notification
is sent and the package gets stored for retrieval by the requester.   Maybe
some generic pre-compiled configurations could be offered too.

I was just intending it as a 'side-line project', but if anyone can see
some benefit in it and wants to turn it into a 'group side-line project'
and possibly 'sourceforge' it or 'plugforge (tm)' it, shout out.

Any thoughts on this subject?  Has this already been done and I can't find
it for my searching?

Ryan