[plug] Access to the IT rsync server

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Jul 1 16:07:58 WST 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Paul Dean wrote:

> Hya Harry,
>
> I just tried 'rsync ftp.it.net.au::' and got their archive listing.
> I guess all working here...

Listing of rsyncable resources is an unprivileged operation.
ie its just a read of a data structure in memory.
Accessing the actual resource is where privileges are invoked.
ie it actually invokes the requirements at access the resource.

eg:
~$ rsync ftp.it.net.au::
This is an experimental rsync server, running on Informed Technology's
anonymous FTP server (ftp.it.net.au).  All files are also available by ftp
(ftp://ftp.it.net.au/) and http (http://ftp.it.net.au/ftp/).  For more
information about rsync, visit "http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/".
Feedback to FTP Administration (ftpadm at it.net.au).

ftp             Informed Technology's FTP server
debian          Debian GNU/Linux mirror
debian-non-US   Debian GNU/Linux (non-US packages) mirror
debian-www      Debian GNU/Linux web pages mirror
debian-cd       Debian GNU/Linux cd images mirror
apache          Apache web and ftp mirror
openbsd         OpenBSD mirror
gnu             GNU archives
~$ rsync ftp.it.net.au::debian
This is an experimental rsync server, running on Informed Technology's
anonymous FTP server (ftp.it.net.au).  All files are also available by ftp
(ftp://ftp.it.net.au/) and http (http://ftp.it.net.au/ftp/).  For more
information about rsync, visit "http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/".
Feedback to FTP Administration (ftpadm at it.net.au).

@ERROR: invalid uid

This particular error is when the username supplied in the config file doesn't
map to a valid UID.

basically I'd put it down to a typo in the rsyncd.conf file at IT

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!