[plug] Windoze XP licence precipitate

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Jul 8 10:14:24 WST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 10:16, James Elliott wrote:
> You
> have, indirectly, paid $200-$300 for Windows XP and that entitles you to
> run it on ONE machine.  As long as you are not cheating and running it on
> two machines then you have not breached copyright.

Um, not quite right.

If you bought an OEM version of XP (almost certain, else they'd charge you
circa $600* for it), you will probably find that it is licenced for use on
the ORIGINAL machine only. So yes, ONE machine - but in the sense of ONE
SPECIFIC MACHINE.

Redmond, redmond, uber alles...

Cheers; Leon

* I can buy a whole working gigahertz class machine, new, and plonk Linux
  on it for less than that.