[plug] Gnome 2.0 for Debian

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Jul 8 21:44:13 WST 2002

Hiya all,

Just wanting to play around with Gnome 2.0 on my Debian woody box and I
believe it is simply just a case of adding a line to my sources.list.
Currently this is what my sources.list look like :-

deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
non-free

Now reading up on some mailing lists posts I believe that this is the line
that I need to add.

# Debian Experimental (GNOME 2.0!)
deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main

Some posts also mention adding the following lines as well.

# GNOME 2.0 metapackage first-cut
deb http://people.debian.org/~walters/debian/staging/ ./
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~walters/debian/staging/ ./

I have also read that I need to add these lines to /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 1000

Can someone give me a bit of a dvice on what actually needs to be done. All
the mail posts and website instructions I read seem to be very unclear.

Michael Hunt