[plug] Gnome 2.0 for Debian

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Jul 9 08:54:27 WST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Michael Hunt wrote:

> Hiya all,
>
> Just wanting to play around with Gnome 2.0 on my Debian woody box and I
> believe it is simply just a case of adding a line to my sources.list.
> Currently this is what my sources.list look like :-
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
> deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
> non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
> non-free
>
> Now reading up on some mailing lists posts I believe that this is the line
> that I need to add.
>
> # Debian Experimental (GNOME 2.0!)
> deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main

No the .debs there are for sid.  If you try to install them they will fail
or if you allow them to they'll suck a good 50Mb outta sid.

> Some posts also mention adding the following lines as well.
>
> # GNOME 2.0 metapackage first-cut
> deb http://people.debian.org/~walters/debian/staging/ ./
> deb-src http://people.debian.org/~walters/debian/staging/ ./

Honnestly can't talk about these as I don't know about them.  Verify that
and .debs you grab are for woody.

> I have also read that I need to add these lines to /etc/apt/preferences:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 1000
>
> Can someone give me a bit of a dvice on what actually needs to be done. All
> the mail posts and website instructions I read seem to be very unclear.

You don't need to to this if you're only pulling .debs from one other
"release" BUT it wont hurt.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!