[plug] RH7.3 rpm installation query

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue Jul 9 17:22:16 WST 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:10:01 +0800 (WST) Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:

> I have downloaded a package from the Internet, and want to instal it on
> the RH 7.3 system.
>
> The package is opera 6.02.
>
> I tried to instal it using rpm -i filename.rpm, in  one of the directories
> where I put it, and I get an error message;
> error: failed dependencies:
> 	libXm.so.2 is needed by opera-6.02-....

There are two types of Opera .deb files, a shared library one and a static
linked library one.

If there is an .rpm with static linked libraries and you fetch that down then I
think you won't need to load missing libraries (they are all linked into the
binary).

Despite the extra size of the binary, we've found that the statically linked
opera starts up quicker and seems to run quicker too on lightweight machines.

This could be because of the overhead of calls to link to and access a separate
library. Dunno. Knowledge is at the bottom of the this perticlrrr learning cliff
at the mo' :-)

All the best
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/